Speak - A Paired Reading Passage Project!

Monday, November 16, 2009

Mood

While reading this book, I had mix feelings. At times i felt sad for Melinda, and at other times I felt happy for her. On page 187, It said "Liar!, I cant believe you. You're jealous. You're a twisted little freak and you're jealous that I'm popular and I'm going to the prom and so you lie to me like this. And you sent me that note, didn't you? You are so sick." When Rachel said this, I felt bad for Melinda. Melinda was trying to tell Rachel, her ex-bestfriend what really happened at the party. Rachel was going to the prom with Andy Evans, the boy who raped her, so she thought that Melinda was jealous and she was making things up. The sad part to this is that Melinda was telling the truth, but Rachel didnt believe her. A happy feeling I got while reading is when Melinda went back to school on the first day, and made a new friend, probably the only friend that would talk to her. " I'm Heather from Ohio. I'm new here. Are you?" This was said by Heather on page 5. It made me feel happy for Melinda because she made a new friend that she liked. No one else in the school liked her, or spoke to her. Melinda was happy that she made a friend to talk to.
1.The significance of this passage is that the mood that the reader has, is the mood that Melinda feels. Melinda was happy at times, and sad at other times. She had mixed feelings about different things.
2.The authors purpose on the passage that is on page 5 is to show that Melinda was happy to meet someone new. The passage on page 187 shows that Melinda was being called names while telling the truth. If this happened to anyone else, they would feel sad as well. The authors point to these passages is to drag the reader into the book, so they can feel how Melinda felt.
3.I know that this is the authors purpose because of the way it was written with details afterward. The author was trying to grab the readers attention, and make it seem as if I was Melinda's best friend, and I was witnessing everything in front of my own eyes.
4.This passage had many effects on me, the reader. It made me feel like I was Melinda. It also reminded me of times when I had been in the same situation as her. At times I felt happy, and at other times I felt sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment